Creativity has been Rene’s constant pal for years and lately she has continued to make unique jewelry as well as constructed decor items that incorporate objects trouves in a multimedia approach and often assembled in shadow box frames.
Her jewelry usually features copper but utilizes sterling, argentium and alloys as well. Techniques are Viking Knit, Bead Crochet, Torch Painting, Chemical Etching, Physical Texturing, Fold Forming, Ikkan Bari, Basketry, Wirework, and Wirework.
The latest work includes:
1. scarf & charms - usually printed silk fabric lengths are threaded through rings from which are hung charms of beads, found objects, buttons, trinkets, etc. in coordinating colours. Many components have been gleaned from antique jewelry, hardware, or carved & constructed by this artisan. The scarf is worn like a necklace using one or all of the rings with charms which can be used with scarves or cords other than the original one.
2. shawl pins using focal beads, and abstract wire work
3. multi media assemblages in shadow box frames constructed of junk drawer treasures, art papers, gems, sticks, and just about anything that resonates with its theme
4. machine sewed felted wool lined zipper pouches and shoulder bags decorated with abstract fabrics and trinkets. Dyed old wool blankets were made into the outer fabrics. Old belts were made into straps. Bags have internal zippered pockets.
5. Crazy Dolls can be worn as fun broaches or just something to add humour to your day.
6. Signature pieces (necklaces, bracelets, and sometimes coordinating earrings) are on-going work.
7. Broaches as Art in shadow box frames - introduced March 2018 at the Visions Show in the Theatre Lobby of the Island Savings Centre of Duncan, B.C. (library building)
Rene participates in various Visions events throughout the year as well as some fairs and markets on Vancouver Island. Her studio is available to visit by appointment only (250-715-0207) but throughout the year she supplies Imagine That! Artisans’ Coop in downtown Duncan as well as Rainforest Arts Gallery in Chemainus. Some custom orders may be arranged after consulting with Rene.